April 24, 2014

U is for Unique

Like any culture, there is something unique about the people in Guatemala. One of the things that makes them unique to me is how laid back and kind they are. 

Every Sunday when we go to church our daughter Emree is hyped up with energy. She's running all over the place and sometimes it's just not worth chasing her up and down the small isles.  The people don't mind her running around the room, because they recognize her energy and enjoy watching and playing with her throughout the meetings. 

I think it is so great that they don't mind helping you out in the middle of the meeting. Some of the ladies have even rushed out with us to help calm Emree down when she is throwing a temper tantrum. I love that I don't feel so embarrassed to have my child screaming her guts out. Back in Utah, I would do everything I could to make we didn't draw much attention to ourselves. You don't see too many people helping you take care of your child in the middle of the meeting there.

Another unique thing I've found is that they don't mind doing the same thing day after day.  I get bored if I don't have something new to do or somewhere to go each day. They usually establish their routine and it stays that way throughout their life.  The sad thing is sometimes there isn't much progression in learning or growing when you do the same thing day after day.

There are so many things that make these people so unique and I love watching and learning from these wonderful people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment