April 10, 2014

I is for Iglesia

Iglesia is a word for church in Spanish.  There are churches all over Panajachel. Services go throughout the week. The people here are very dedicated to their churches.  Dago (the handyman for the hotel) is very faithful to his church.  We had a nice conversation one day about our churches. I told him me and my whole family are all LDS and he said "Muy Bien, Muy Importanto" (very good, very important). He goes to a small church that meets about 4 times a week often times from about 6pm to 10pm and serves with the young men. I am very impressed by his diligence to his church. You can see in his countenance how much he loves Christ and loves God and his family. 

Our Church is about a 30 minute walk from our home.  It's a nice walk on Sunday mornings.  Sometimes going to church can be hard since we are still learning the language.  It takes a lot of brain power sometimes to switch from English to Spanish, but we understand more and more everyday and every week.  Even though we may not understand everything that is being said, there is a very special spirit about the members.  They are very faithful and do all they can to make sure we feel included. They go out of their way to make sure we understand the announcements and will go out and print us directions if needed. 

I feel blessed to be in a place with so many wonderful people some of whom are very faithful to their Iglesias's.  It's really neat to see and be a part of.  I learn so much from the people in our church and from friends of others faiths.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I had commented on yours posts already.... weird. It sounds like you have a really nice church to go to!! It's always so disappointing to go to a church that makes you feel unwelcome. I really need to try again to find a welcoming one here.

    ReplyDelete