January 26, 2015

A Simple Hug

As long as I can remember I have always had a great desire to share with others God's love.  Even though at times I have struggled with understanding or even seeing his love for me, that desire is still there.  It has always been important to me to share with others how special they truly are not only to me, but to our Heavenly Father.  One experience in particular that I have had in the past, has been coming to my mind over and over again for quite sometime and I would like to share this experience with you. 

I was on Trax one day riding home from school at the U of U to Daybreak.  About a half hour into the ride I noticed a girl in the seat across from me crying. I paid close attention to her and as I sat there I got the impression that I needed to give her a hug.  I didn't know why, but that feeling didn't go away for the last half hour of the ride.  I was so nervous, but that nervousness told me that this was no ordinary thought, this was something from the spirit. 

At the last stop she stayed in her seat waiting for everyone else to get off, but I walked over and said "Excuse me, could I give you a hug?" She nodded and I gave her a big hug that lasted a few minutes.  Afterwards she said "Thank You" and we went our separate ways. 

 
I don't know what difference that hug made to this girl, but I do know what a difference it made to me. I've thought about that day many times since. I know I have had moments in my life where I was struggling and all I've wanted is a big hug. So, in thinking from this girls point of view, if a stranger came up to me and asked if I needed a hug on one of those rough days, I probably would accept without hesitation. 

I learned that it is important to follow those simple promptings or good thoughts that you may have.  Even though I don't know how it effected her, I do know that God loves all of his children and that we are here to help each other.  I know God loves me. He showed me that he loves this daughter, that I gave this hug to, so much that he wanted me to share his love for her through that hug. He wanted me to show her how much she is loved even by a complete stranger.

That experience happened about a year and a half ago, but has been on my mind almost every day.  I too have needed that reminder that God loves me many times. I thought I was giving this hug just for this beautiful daughter of God, but over time that experience has affected me in ways I can hardly describe. I gained reassurance, peace and I have been able to see how much my Heavenly Father loves and trusts me.

We are here to help each other, to help each other come to know him and through simple acts of kindness we are sharing God's light.  What an incredible gift it is to be able to share God's love.  We are all here to learn and grow and we are here to support and lift each other. 



No comments:

Post a Comment