January 3, 2017

2017...Here I Come




I love looking back on the old year and seeing all the many experiences and adventures that have come about during that year. It's motivating to me to see where I was then compared to where I am now. A lot can happen in a year and 2016 pushed me in more ways then I ever imagined. 

To be honest, 2016 was probably the longest year of my life...so far. ;) So, much happened that it felt like a whirlwind that just kept on going and going.  I look back on 2016 and think "Wait, what just happened." That's what I would describe 2016 as, the year where so much happened that I can't even tell you what happened. It was a long year that felt like 10 years. I was just waiting for 2017 to come so I could just start over, realign myself and maybe find a way to balance my life.

As 2016 came to a close, I felt so many emotions. I was so excited to celebrate the new year and as we counted down, tears filled my eyes with all of the struggles and heartache of that year. But then I remembered the light and joy that came because those struggles and I was filled with hope for a brighter future.

In 2016, I made a goal to focus on taking care of myself emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritually.  I wanted to understand MY body. I wanted to learn what I needed to do to take care of this special gift that my Father in Heaven has given to me and create a better life for myself.

It seemed like a lot and looking back I thought that I wasn't even really accomplishing any part of that goal.  I realized that I actually stuck with this goal, much more than I thought. It just wasn't in the way that I had envisioned in my mind. The coolest part was that my Heavenly Father was there guiding me every step of the way.

I worked on myself emotionally and mentally to come to understand what it means to forgive. I learned to love and speak more kindly to myself. To let go of grudges or hurt feelings that I had been hanging on to. I learned self control. I learned how to be more loving and patient towards my husband, kids and loved ones. (Side note: these things are still a work progress)

Spiritually, I learned to make scripture study an important part of my day. I've learned the importance of saying meaningful prayers and taking time to truly communicate with my Father in Heaven. I made it a priority to attend the temple weekly and do family history names and what an incredible blessing that has been in my life.

As most people do, I worked really hard this year on my physical fitness and nutrition. This is the one that I would say I felt the most discouraged about and felt I had lacked in progress even though I felt I was working so so hard.  I would've liked to have dropped some pounds, but that didn't seem to be the plan for my body this year.

I realize now, that those pounds were of something a little deeper. Not just my nutrition or my physical fitness, though those are very important things, working on myself emotionally has made all the difference. I didn't realize how much my emotional health truly affected my physical health. I have made so many strides that are unseen by everyone else around me and I am can truly say I am so proud of myself. I am proud of the accomplishments and the things that I have learned about my body this year! I am proud that I haven't given up.

Now that I have been working on my emotional well being I am finding that my body is responding in a more healthy manner and is possibly ready to let go of some of the pounds that has been weighing me down.  One thing I decided to say to myself as I go through this process is that "I'm not trying to lose the weight, because I don't want to find it. Instead, I am coming to release it and let it go." I am so amazed by the body and mind and how perfectly well they respond to each other.

I am so grateful for the things that I learned in 2016. It was a hard year, no doubt, but I feel so blessed that the Lord was there for me every step of the way. I look at my life and I can see his hand in everything. I can see that he wants me to accomplish my goals and he his helping me reach them as I dream and as I work to become the person that he knows I can be.


A while back, I made a goal to create a Vision Board. This is a board of my life, my goals, hopes and dreams for the future that I can see daily. Finally, after 4 years, I have accomplished that goal and have created that board. I am grateful for the opportunity we have each day, week, month and year to set goals and be reminded of where we want to be and what we want to accomplish in our lives.

With my goals clearly set out before me, I am excited for what's ahead in 2017 and for all the many experiences and adventures that await me.

Goodbye 2016 and 2017...Here I Come! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment