February 18, 2014

Not That Easily Persuaded

The other day Travis and I were at the Despensa getting some groceries.  I stepped outside to wait with Emree while Travis paid for our things.  As I was standing there a man rode up on his bike.  He asked me a question about my stroller and then asked me where I was from.  I told him Utah, in the U.S. and he said "Oh I know where that is, I'm from Texas." I proceeded to try and keep the conversation at a general level, but he blurted out "Are you Mormon?"  I said yes and he went on to say how the Mormon church is of the devil and tried to persuade me in every possible way that it was not true. 
 He said he knows all about the Mormon church, because he's studied it.  "I know all about your underwear, your book, your temples. Those men you call prophets they are liars and deceivers, they are of the devil.  They look like kind men, but they are evil."  I felt very defensive at this moment trying to explain that the prophets are very good men, but he just kept going on and on trying to convince me that it was filth.

By the time he was in a whole in depth conversation with himself about things I had never heard of, Travis had come out from the store.  We told him, you are entitled to your opinion and started walking away as he called out to us, "but it's not my opinion it's truth." 

I was very irritated by this man, but I couldn't help, but smile.  He was fully convinced that he was going to persuade me in not believing in the LDS church. He had no idea what it really means to be converted, what it means to be a member of God's church.  Standing there listening to this man I felt like the words were washing over me, not even making a dent and I realized something.  It's not just about being a member of the church that makes you converted. It is devoting your life, your whole heart to our Savior, Jesus Christ.  When you are close to your savior, you are truly converted and no amount of persuasion can keep you from doing the right thing. 

You can't just be a member, you can't just go to every activity, you can't just read the scriptures and pray, your whole heart needs to be in it.  You have to want to make those steps, you have to have a great love for the Lord and once you have that, you will not be easily persuaded.

I felt that love of our Savior talking to this man, not because of the words he was saying, but because I knew without a doubt that we have the truth.  The spirit testifies to me every day of the great love of our Father in Heaven and the truthfulness of this gospel. It's important to do all that the lord asks and that includes going about it with full purpose of heart. You can be converted to a church, but that doesn't mean you are converted to Christ.

 My heart is full and I feel so blessed.  I love the lord with all of my heart.  I will go and do whatever the lord asks of me.  I know we are here at this time for a purpose, to serve and share the gospel.  I can't express it as well as I would like, but I deeply know that this church is true.  I know the Book of Mormon is true, that Christ suffered for our sins and that he lives! I know that I can make a difference and no matter how big or small my actions may seem, I know that I can be an example and a light in the lives of those around me! I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true and living church on this earth and I will not be easily persuaded to believe otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment